Monday, January 23, 2017

My Personal Rankings of Pokemon Types: From Favorite to Least

OK, you've read the title, so you know what you're getting into. I'll rank my favorite Pokemon typings from the one I like most to the one I like least, and I'll of course explain why. Also, I'll add at least ONE Pokemon from each typing that I like, as well as a favorite move of this typing.


1- Fire: The Fire typing has always been one that captured my imagination as being one of, if not THE strongest typing in all of Pokemon. Of course, from a statistical POV, this simply isn't true, and from a Meta stance, no typing can truly be considered "the strongest" anymore. But Fire has always been my favorite, if only because it really appeals to that primordial side of me that thinks "fire=power."

Favorite Pokemon: Charizard, Blaziken, Rapidash, Arcanine, Moltress.
Favorite Moves: Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Fire Punch.

2- Dark: In my opinion the best thing Pokemon Gold and Silver did for the Meta game was add this typing. Before the Second Generation, Psychic types DOMINATED. Once the Dark type was introduced, those days ended forever. It also helps that many of the Dark Types introduced looked SO AWESOME! Indeed, I've yet to see a Dark Type Pokemon I've not liked.

Favorite Pokemon: Umbreon, Absol, Houndoom, Sableye, Honchkrow.
Favorite Move: Crunch.

3- Ghost: This is a Typing that took me a while to truly appreciate because, until Generation 3, your choices for Ghost types were Gengar...or nothing, because Gengar was the only strong Ghost type. Ghosts didn't have good moves, either. But Gen 3 really gave the Ghost typing the boost it needed: more Pokemon, more Moves, and even Abilities like Levitate, which gave them an extra edge in battle. I love Ghost types because of how versatile they can be; plus many of them look awesomely spooky.

Favorite Pokemon: Gengar, Dusknoir, Bannette, Chandelure, Mimikyu
Favorite Moves: Shadow Ball, Confuse Ray

4- Fighting: Nothing compares to that feeling of having a super strong, super tough Pokemon that can pummel its enemies to the ground! That's what the Fighting Type's all about: pure, physical power that just won't quit! I tell ya, I always, ALWAYS keep a Fighting Type on my team!

Favorite Pokemon: Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Pangoro.
Favorite Moves: Brick Break, Hi Jump Kick, Sky Uppercut

5- Fairy: I never expected myself to LOVE the Fairy Type as I do, but here I am, gushing about it. Fairy types not only beat Dragons, but they can also destroy Dark Types as well. It doesn't hurt that almost all Fairy types are so pleasant to look at!

Favorite Pokemon: Sylveon, Slurpuff
Favorite Moves: Draining Kiss, Disarming Voice

6- Water: One of the most versatile and common Types in Pokemon. Personally, my love of Water types has to do with my personal love for bodies of water, as well as aquatic life. That many Water Types resemble fish and other marine animals is but a plus for me. Likewise, having a type that is weak to only two types, and one of them is Grass, means that I have very little reason NOT to have AT LEAST one Water type in my team. Add to that the ever useful (prior to Gen 7) Surf move, and you have a typing that is guaranteed to have at least one Pokemon on your team.

Favorite Pokemon: Gyarados, Kingler, Primarina, Wishiwashi
Favorite Moves: Bubblebeam, Surf, Hydro Pump

7- Normal: Yeah, surprised? Don't be! With such a high number of versatile yet cute Pokemon, as well as an insane amount of moves that buff up stats, the Normal typing appeals to my "roots for the underdog" nature! In fact, one of my favorite Pokemon Challenges is to go trough the entire game with JUST Normal types!

Favorite Pokemon: Rattata, Tauros, Miltank, Lillipup line.
Favorite Moves: Sword Dance, Z-Splash, Take Down

The following typings elicit a Neutral response from me.

8- Dragon: I will admit that Dragon types are cool; that's not my problem. My real problem is that it's so obvious that the Dragon type is supposed to be the "ultimate" typing that, to me, it just bounces back down to "it's alright." I feel like Dragon types aren't as versatile as the others, as many, if not all, Dragon types are clearly of the "you don't get to use this until close to the end of the main game" type of RPG playable entity. So it's cool, but to me, I like Pokemon I can grow with.

Favorite Pokemon: Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp
Favorite Move: Dragon Breath

9- Bug: Bug used to be the weakest type in the game, as it had so many weaknesses while having no true strengths. It was strong against Grass (big whoop) and allegedly good against psychics, if not for the fact that Bug moves SUCKED. Generations 2, 3, and 4 tried remedying this by introducing better attacks, but it wasn't until Generation 5 that STRONG Bug types were finally introduced. But to me, the Bug type will always be a "middle ground" typing, as too many Types resist Bug attacks.

Favorite Pokemon: Scyther, Heracross, Galvantula, Grubbin
Favorite Moves: Silver Wind, Bug Bite

10- Flying: To me, Flying types are cool to look at, but I have never really felt the need to actually include one on my end game team. When it comes to the START of the game, I always like to keep the regional Tiny Bird on my team (Pidgey, Pikipek) at least until it fully evolves. After that, I always kept one for the Fly HM move. But for PVP? Nah, I'd rather have something strong, like a Dark or a Fire type.

Favorite Pokemon: Pidgey line, Spearow, Taillow, Pikipek line
Favorite Move: Fly

11- Electric: I'm willing to admit that Electric types are cool and awesome, but to me? I never really "bought" into the hype. Electric types can beat Water, sure, and they have only one real weakness (Ground). But otherwise, I've never really felt like I NEED an Electric type. In the end, Electric is one of those Types I never really responded to.

Favorite Pokemon: Electabuzz, Zapdos, Mareep, Emolga.
Favorite Moves: Thunder, Thunder Punch. Thunderbolt

12- Rock: I...have very little to say about Rock types. I guess I love most Fossil Pokemon, but the Typing itself I never really felt stood out that much. Sure Gen 4 made Rock nearly overpowered, but it still has five weaknesses (Fighting, Water, Grass, Ground, and Steel). So...meh, middle of the road for me.

Favorite Pokemon: Aerodactyl, Roggenrola, Tyrantrum
Favorite Moves: Rockslide, Rock Blast

13- Ground: Again, I am at a loss for words. I neither hate nor love the Ground type. Well, I guess I like it enough as a Secondary type when paired with Water...?

Favorite Pokemon: Sandshrew, Mudbray line
Favorite Moves: Dig, Sand Attack, Magnitude

14- Ice: ...I have nothing to say for or against the Ice type. It never really stood out to me as being its own Typing, almost always being more of a "complementary" typing to either Water or Psychic. Hell, there wasn't a pure Ice type until Generation 3! That said, while I don't much like Ice type Pokemon, I do like Ice type moves, which can obliterate Dragon types with ease. Oh, and also Grass.

Favorite Pokemon: Articuno, Glalie, Alolan Vulpix line.
Favorite Moves: Aurora Beam, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Hail

And now...my Hated types.

15- Steel: I'm willing to admit that many Steel type Pokemon are awesome. I love Skarmory, for example. Steelix. Scizor. The Steel type is also one of the best Types to use, having so many defenses against so many different Types. But...I don't like the Steel moves. They underwhelm me. Likewise, I've never really responded to the Steel type itself. So it's not that I HATE the Steel type, I just don't respond well to it. I prefer Rock.

Favorite Pokemon: Skarmory, Registeel
Favorite Moves: Metal Claw, Iron Tail

16- Psychic: Ugh. I hate Psychic types. Psychic types used to be THE strongest type in the game, to the point that having anything else made you look like a hipster. Now I like some Psychic types, but overall, I feel like...they're all too similar. Like they ALL use the exact same strategy: use Moves that depend on the Special Attack stat. And yes, I'll admit my own hypocrisy, as that's not too different from Fire and Fairy. But I guess I'll never really get over that "Gen 1" resentment of Psychic being the undisputed Type King.

Favorite Pokemon: Ralts line, Spoink line, Mime Jr.
Favorite Move: uh...Psybeam, I guess.

17- Grass: The absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to Typings, Grass wouldn't be so bad if:

  1. It was strong against more typings than just Electric, Water, Ground, and itself.
  2. It didn't have FIVE weaknesses (Fire, Ice, Flying, Poison, and Bug)
  3. Its moves weren't resisted by SEVEN types (Fire, Poison, Bug, Dragon, Poison, Steel, and itself)
  4. More types were weak against it besides Water, Ground, and Rock.
  5. If being paired with other types didn't give it MORE weaknesses (Grass/Poison adds Psychic to its list of weaknesses and removes Ground resistance, Grass/Bug and Grass/Steel is doubly weak to Fire, etc.
I WANT to like the Grass typing, I really do. It has so many awesome Pokemon in it, and Grass itself can be versatile in that it can apply so many different styles of combat, (Purely offensive, defensive, negative stat inducing, etc). But...so many weaknesses!

Favorite Pokemon: Bulbasaur line, Chikorita line, Treecko line
Favorite Moves: Razor Leaf, Solarbeam, Giga Drain, Trop Kick

And finally, the absolute bottom of the barrel:

18- Poison: I. Detest. Poison. I hate it. I feel that not only do all the other types outshine it, but...Poison types aren't that interesting to me at all. Sure, Poison is great as a sub-Type, what with all its defenses, but Poison is weak to Psychic, one of the most commonly used Types around. Further, Poison cannot even touch the Steel type, another commonly used typing! This is my LEAST favorite Type!

Favorite Pokemon: Ekans line, Seviper
Favorite Move: I don't know, I guess I could go with...Poison Jab.


No comments:

Post a Comment