Monday, January 9, 2017

My Favorite Pokemon per Generation

Whereas last time I made a list of my LEAST favorite Pokemon, today I'm sharing something more positive: a list of the Pokemon I love most. Like last time, it's one per Generation. Of course I'll be explaining why I love each of these Pokemon, and unlike last time, I'll add at least three "Runner ups."


Generation 1: Charizard
Yeah yeah, I know, not very original. Charizard is one of the most popular Pokemon in the West, often beating even Pikachu, the series mascot, in popularity polls. In all honesty, there's not much that can be said regarding WHY Charizard is so popular that hasn't been said already. I mean, just LOOK at it! It's a DRAGON! IT BREATHES FIRE! It's frickin' BADASS!

But I have two personal reasons to love Charizard. First off, my favorite Pokemon Type is Fire, so I always gravitate towards the Fire Starters. Second, Charmander was my very, very first Pokemon. When I got Pokemon Red, back in June 1999, I picked Charmander as my starter. I trained that Charmander, turning it into a Charmeleon at level 16, and finally Charizard at level 36. You never really forget your first Starter, and that's why Charizard holds a place in my heart.

Other Pokemon I love from this Generation: Gyarados, Nidoking, Lapras, Rapidash.

Generation 2: Umbreon

When Generation 2 introduced two new types, the Meta game changed forever. No longer was Psychic the dominant force. Suddenly, every team had a Dark Type to battle Mewtwo and Alakazam. However, in my school, everyone had the same exact Dark Pokemon: Tyrannitar. I wanted to break that mold, do something different, so I started using Umbreon. That's when I actually started WINNING Pokemon Battles; Umbreon didn't have Tyranitar's raw power, but it DID have a combination of Speed and moves that cause flinching.

It's those memories, of battling Pokemon after school hours, or during lunch break, that gives this Pokemon a place in my heart. After I started wining with Umbreon, EVERYONE started using Umbreon. I re-wrote the Meta in my school with this Pokemon.

Other Pokemon I love from Generation 2: Girafarig, Mantine, Skarmory

Generation 3: Absol

Gameplay wise, not the best Pokemon. But...dammit, this has got to be the most majestic, awe inspiring Pokemon I have ever seen. Its design is a mixture of elegance and mystique; that white fur, that collar, that beautiful haircut, those powerful looking legs, that intimidating scythe like growth on its head contrasting so heavily with eyes that radiate determination. This is a BEAUTIFUL Pokemon, and I always try to have one on my team. That's not even getting into its Pokedex information, of warning humans of imminent disasters only to be blamed for them. Plus, I love its name. It's absolutely (pun intended) terrific!

Other Pokemon from Generation 3 that I love: Blaziken, Camerupt, Sharpedo.

Generation 4: Mime Jr

I'll make it no secret when I say that Generation 4 is the one Generation I like the least. I personally feel it added too many Legendary and Mythical Pokemon (14 combined!) and focused too much on giving evolutions to previous Pokemon. I already made my feelings known about Rhyperior, but today, I want to give credit where it's due. Generation 4 helped bring previously overlooked Pokemon some much needed attention. Tangela, Aipom, Lickitung, and Yanma, all of these Pokemon were given some much needed evolutions. Honchkrow and Mismagius are awesomely designed Pokemon. Leafeon and Glaceon are both fantastic evolutions for Eevee. But of all the new evolutions and baby forms introduced in Generation 4, none have captured my heart like Mime Jr.

I love Mime Jr for many reasons, and none of them are due to gameplay. First, look at it. LOOK AT THE ABSOLUTE JOY THIS POKEMON RADIATES! This Pokemon gives me such joie-de-vivre by just looking at it. I wish Mime Jr were real, so I could pick it up, hug it, and play with it. Mime Jr is my all time favorite Baby Pokemon. No other Baby Pokemon comes close to the adorableness that is Mime Jr to me!

Other Gen 4 favorites: Leafeon, Infernape, Empoleon.

Generation 5: Emolga
Last entry, I called Dedenne the worst of the Pika clones. I stand by what I said. But if Dedenne's the worst, to me Emolga is the absolute best. A flying squirrel Pokemon, Emolga's design is not just cute, it's also unique and elegant in its simplicity. The design uses only three colors that work exceptionally well together: white, yellow, and black. If Shiny, the black is replaced with light brown, which STILL works beautifully for this Pokemon!

Emolga is also unique as a Pika clone for its typing: Electric/Flying. The addition of this sub type is what helps separate Emolga from the Pika Clones from a gameplay perspective, giving it invulnerability to the Ground type, which otherwise DESTROYS Pika Clones. Sure, it's not the strongest Electric type around, but it still has its potential!

Emolga is the perfect Pika clone to me: its resemblance to Pikachu is close enough to make it distinguishable, but its design also helps it stand out. Its cute, its tough, it fills a niche, it's pretty much what I think Pika clones should be: close enough to be like Pikachu, but different enough to have its own identity.

This is one of those designs that just works. I love this Pokemon, I absolutely love love LOVE it! I hope whoever designed it got a sweet bonus.

Other Gen 5 Pokemon I like: Deerling and Sawsbuck. Lillipup and its evolutions, Bouffalant.

Generation 6: Tyrantrum
It's a T-Rex. It's a goddamn T-Rex. Do I really NEED to say anything else? IT'S A GODDAMN MOTHER FUCKING TYRANNOSAURUS REX!!! The coolest of the dinosaurs, a Pokemon I've been wishing for since GEN 1!!! And it's Rock/DRAGON??? This is my all time favorite fossil Pokemon! Nothing else needs to be said!

Other Generation 6 Pokemon that I liked: Talonflame, Goodra, Fennekin.

Generation 7: Popplio

When I saw how many people online were hating on this little water puppy, I felt so bad for it that I swore to myself that it'd be my Starter. When I bought Pokemon Sun and put it in my 3DS, I did not hesitate on choosing this little guy. 30 levels, two evolutions later, I have not once looked back. Popplio is, quite possibly, the starter that has impressed me most since Charmander, way back in Generation 1,

It's not enough that its cute as a button, but it learns Water Gun nice and early. And then it learns Disarming Voice, a Fairy Type move that NEVER MISSES? This little guy can take down Dragon types! I have come to absolutely ADORE Popplio: it's cute, it's tough, it may well be the best Starter in Alola! 

Other Gen 7 Pokemon I like: Solgaleo, Wishiwashi, Oricorio.





No comments:

Post a Comment