Saturday, January 7, 2017

My Least Favorite Pokemon per Generation

Everyone has a Pokemon they love; likewise, everyone has a Pokemon they absolutely loathe. This is a list of the Pokemon I dislike most, per Generation.

Generation 1: Lickitung


The first generation of Pokemon may be its most iconic, but that doesn't mean EVERY Pokemon released during that time was a winner. In fact, Generation 1 had some of the LEAST imaginative Pokemon names (especially in Japanese) and designs the franchise had ever seen. Voltorb, Grimer, Tangela, these were all some of the biggest stinkers of Gen 1. But to me, Lickitung was the absolute bottom of the barrel. This Pokemon is what I liked to call "Pokedex filler," in that you got it solely to fill the Pokedex. It never evolved, it didn't have any strong, unique moves, and anything it could do, Tauros or Snorlax could do better.

Generation 2: Dunsparce

I love the second generation, it's my favorite. But that doesn't mean it's free from stinkers. Dunsparce was a pain in the butt to catch, being found in what I can only call a side dungeon I'd otherwise never bother with. It was disgustingly rare, with a 1% chance to encounter. So, surely it could evolve into something powerful, right? Nope, it stayed as it was. This Pokemon is just Pokedex filler.

Generation 3: Swalot


Meet Muk's lame cousin. I hate Swalot for two big reasons. First off, its design is...ugly. It's ugly, underwhelming, and all in all, I hate it. Of all the Gen 3 Pokemon, I'd even go as far as saying it's the LEAST inspired design, even less inspired than Plusle and Minun! The other big reason is that, gameplay wise, I don't see much difference between Swalot and Muk. Then again, I'm willing to admit a personal bias here, as the Poison type is my least favorite type of Pokemon.

Generation 4: Rhyperior

The fourth generation is my LEAST favorite Pokemon generation, mostly because (in my opinion) it focused too much on giving evolutions and Baby forms to previous Pokemon, as well as adding too many Legendaries. Of this Generation, the 'mons I hate the most are Tangrowth, Lickilicky, and Rhyperior. But I added Rhyperior for the simple reason that, to me, Rhydon didn't NEED an evolution. Why give it one, instead of giving one to Dunsparce of Farfetch'd?

Generation 5: Munna

Generation 5, as far as Pokemon designs went, was very Hit or Miss. The good designs (eg: Zebstrika, Emolga, and Stoutland) were phenomenal, while the bad designs (eg: Vanilite, Sawk, Throh) were abysmal. But to me, none were worse than Munna. The EPITOME of lazy design, Munna looks literally WORSE than some Fake Pokemon I've seen. The idea that someone got PAID to design it!

Generation 6: Dedenne
Ever since Pikachu skyrocketed in popularity (not helped by the anime), Nintendo has attempted to make lightning (pun intended) strike twice by making at least one Pokemon per generation be a "Pika clone". In my opinion, Nintendo has mostly failed in this endeavor in each generation except the second (Pichu) and fifth (Emolga). But Generation 6's Pika clone, Dedenne, may well be their laziest design yet. It looks like the bastard offspring of Hamtaro and Raichu! What's next? Sonichu for Generation 8?

Generation 7: Yungoos
Ever since Rattata from Generation 1, each generation has had the same variety of common, Normal type Pokemon that was useful for the first three hours of the game, but by the time you've got the second badge you're just itching to box them to make room for something stronger. Yungoos is precisely that type of Pokemon...without the power that makes others of its kind so useful during the first quarter of the game. See, Pokemon like Rattata have good Speed and Attack, combined with some attacks that make good use of these stats. Yungoos...mostly tackles until Level 19, when it FINALLY learns Bite. Zigzagoon had Pickup, an ability that gave you a free item every now and then; Yungoos does not. Bidoof was an HM whore, being able to learn most, if not all HM moves,.Yungoos is not. Yungoos falls behind the rest of your team so quickly, it becomes a liability to keep one once your average Pokemon level is 10! Yungoos is a disappointment, no ifs ands or buts about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment