Wednesday, May 9, 2018

My Favorite Boss Fights of All Time

You've read the title, you know what this is. These are my top 5 Boss Battles of ALL TIME. Let's do this.



5. Bolbox from E.V.O.: Search for Eden.

Image result for Bolbox

Now in my 27 years of gaming, I've faced many an epic boss battle. Some were utterly forgetable. NOT THIS GUY. This was my very first epic final boss. It took me a whole day to beat this guy, and when I did, you bet I jumped for joy. Not bad for an 8 year old, eh? In hindsight, Bolbox isn't that tough. But every time I play EVO and fight him again, you can be sure there's a smile on my face that says "Shall we dance again, my old foe?"

4. Mirmulnir from Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim.

Image result for mirmulnir

You always hear about how Skyrim is one of the best games of all time, how it's super awesome and yada yada yada. But when does the game actually EARN that distinction? When you first fight this guy. Your very first fight against a dragon, and if you play directly from Helgen to Whiterun, it's a fight that's one hour into the game. THAT is how you establish the kind of game you're playing! TAKE NOTES, DEVELOPERS!!!

3. Krow from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Image result for Krow

When I was a kid I loved Donkey Kong Country, so OF COURSE I had to play the sequel. And the sequel was better in almost every regard, but most especially in the boss fights. This opinion was cemented with my encounter with Krow, the very first boss of the game. Easiest boss? Sure, but when you first hear that tune play out...GOD! Perfection!

2. The Deathclaw from Fallout 4.

Image result for Deathclaw



While I am aware that Fallout 4 is a very flawed game (putting it mildly), the presence of a Deathclaw as a boss battle ISN'T one of them. You're just mowing down Raiders in a suit of Power Armor, a minigun in hand, feeling pretty invincible. Then THIS BEAST appears and starts tearing your ass apart! Still feeling invincible? This remains one of my favorite encounters in all gaming.

1. Safer-Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7

Image result for Safer-Sephiroth

That background. That design. Those tactics. That Supernova atack. THAT BOSS MUSIC! This remains THE STANDARD by which I judge ALL FINAL BOSSES IN ALL GAMES I PLAY! If I don't get so much as a TENTH of the excitement and satisdfaction I receive from fighting Safer-Sephiroth, then I'm sorry but YOU DON'T HAVE A FINAL BOSS!

No comments:

Post a Comment