Saturday, January 6, 2018

My Top 5 Favorite Consoles

Welp, you've read the title, so you know what you're getting. Here's my list!


5. Sega Dreamcast

See the source image
The Swan Song of the 90's, Sega's ultimate masterpiece, and the final bow of an era that changed gaming forever. The Dreamcast was one of the greatest game consoles ever made; a machine that perfectly bridged 90's gaming with New Millenium technology. This console had the best graphics of its time, blowing away the choppy, blocky PS1 and N64 away with smooth graphics. Sure, the graphics on most games look like crap TODAY, but this was 19 years ago we talking about. I have so, so many good memories. Playing Capcom vs SNK past midnight, staying up all night beating Sonic Adventure...my god, the memories. A system that died too early!

4. Sony Playstation

See the source image
The system that defined my teen years. I was 11 when I got my Playstation, and I think I've shared that story before. In any case, the abridged version: I was 11 when I entered a contest to win a Playstaion. I came in second, so I got to pick 3 PS1 games as my prize. My parents, though, expected me to lose, so they bought me the Playstation anyway. This is the system that cemented my love for the RPG thanks to its wide library of RPG's. Among them are three of my all time faves: Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Suikoden. A console forever in my heart.

3. Nintendo 3DS

See the source image
I've owned a Nintendo 3DS for over a year now. It's got great games, including my favorite, Pokemon Sun. But that's not the reason why the 3DS is in my heart. No, the real reason is that this was the first ever console I bought for myself with money I earned. I spent my 20's under a severe depression. I tried, and failed, to snag a job for over 7 years of my life. It came to a point that I was starting to think I was worthless. But then I turned 30, got myself a job, and when I had some money saved up, I bought myself a Nintendo 3DS. To me, that 3DS is both a symbol of my newfound independence as well as a reminder that there is always hope. That 3DS always reminds me of what I have overcome.

2. Sony Playstation 2

See the source image

One of the most successful consoles of all time, and THE biggest seller ever, with THOUSANDS of games being made, and a long runner that had new games released for it until the year 2013, a full 12 years after release. What can I even SAY about the PS2? That it brought franchises like GTA to the forefront? That it saw the birth of some of the finest franchises in gaming, like God of War or Kingdom Hearts? That this was the console that I have had the longest in my life because I STILL played with my PS2 all the way to the year 2014, when mine finally died??? I have literally, LITERALLY no words that can describe how much the PS2 has been in my life!

1. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
See the source image
Four words: my childhood, right there. But I feel like I need to say more. Truth is, I didn't have the happiest childhood. I was bullied a lot for being "different." I was a spacey kid, had a lot of trouble controlling my emotions, and in general I was a weirdo. I may have been in The Spectrum, if you know what I mean. In any case, my Super Nintendo offered me an escape from that reality. Although I could only play it on the weekend, you can bet I played the SHIT out of it. I still have sweet memories of my SNES, and to this day I still enjoy playing emulators of this system, far more than any other system imaginable. So to me, this is the greatest console ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment