Saturday, August 1, 2015

Two Year Anniversary

Two years ago today, I took a chance, wrote something about Pokemon being a coming of age story, and started off what would become the best thing I ever did up to that point. It's been two years since that fateful day, and not once have I ever looked back. I am glad to be here, glad to have you as my readers, and most of all, I am glad to share with you my views, ideas, and opinions.

A lot has changed in the past year, hasn't it? Gamergate's almost a year old, now. The old game's journalism scene has been demolished: Gamasutra no longer has Leigh Alexander, Gawker is losing a lot of ground and support, and even Ian Miles Cheong, formerly as anti-gamer as Ben Kuchera and Zoe Quinn, has changed his position on us gamers. It's been a long, hectic ride.

A year ago, the corrupt gaming press declared the gamer to be a "dead identity", one that could be ignored safely in favor of the "progressive hipster" crowd. A year later, developers have learned that money can only be made by pandering to the gamer, not the hipster; gamers will praise you for making honest effort and a good product, but the progressive hipster/SJW crowd will denigrate every mistake you make. A lesson Tale of Tales, a no name publisher that focused too much on art games, learned the hard way.

But I don't want to talk about Gamergate today; that's for another blog entry you might see later this month. Today, I want to quickly write my thanks to you, the reader, for sticking with me for two whole years. Also, I want to make a promise to you: that this blog will never post anything "click bait", that I will ALWAYS do my research on whatever topic I write about, that video games will forever be treated with love and respect on this blog, that there will be no "Social Justice Warrior" style of rhetoric, and that if there exists another perspective on a certain subject or a differing argument, it will be treated with respect.  My comments section will always remain open, and differing ideas will be respected.

One thing I have learned this past year is that people view the world differently; my way and your way might not be the same. My way of viewing the world is just as legitimate as yours, and vice versa. That's why we have to be open minded to new ideas and new perspectives; something SOME people need to learn. But that's something I'll be talking about in a future blog.

Anyway, thank you for two years. I am hoping for many, many more!


No comments:

Post a Comment