Sunday, January 22, 2023

Franchises that deserve more attention

 This is a list of three franchises that I think deserve more recognition. Some of these aren't obscure by any means, but I believe they deserve to be held in higher regard. Let's get to it...

1. Ni no Kuni


What do you get when you combine the jaw droppingly beautiful animation style of Studio Ghibli with a classic RPG system? You get one of the best RPG experiences of the past decade, that's what! Ni no Kuni is an RPG series that has a look and feel that no other game franchise has, and I believe (nay, I INSIST) that this series should be held up to the same standards as, say, the Tales series. Highly imaginative, addictive, fun, and charming, Ni no Kuni is a series that SHOULDN'T be slept on!


2. The Outer Worlds


Although the first game was by no means perfect, Obsidian's The Outer Worlds proved itself a fun romp that mixed classic Raygun Gothic elements with a strong anti-capitalist message that would make Karl Marx himself nod in approval. I know the "series" only has one game so far, plus another on the way, I still think that The Outer Worlds has great potential, and will one day stand toe to toe with such giants as Fallout.


3. EXA_PICO


This is also another example of a game franchise that I believe deserves either remakes or re-releases. For all intents and purposes, EXA_PICO is a collection of Playstation exclusive titles made by Gust, the company behind the Atelier series. EXA_PICO itself isn't the name of the series; rather, it's the catchall term for the Ar Tonelico trilogy and its prequels, the Surge Concerto duology. Never heard of them? I wouldn't blame you if you hadn't; they were released to little fanfare outside of Japan. But these are some of the most astonishing games I've ever seen, and I'm hoping to one day see re-releases of these games in the future. 



No comments:

Post a Comment