Sunday, July 3, 2022

My time as a Let's Player

 From 2018 to around 2021 I dabbled in doing Let's Plays, even sharing my first four videos on this very blog before my temporary retirement. I'd like to share some of my experiences with this hobby.

First off, yes, I greatly enjoyed doing Let's Plays. It was very fun to record myself commenting on these games that I've adored since I was a kid, and it was even more fun to upload them to YouTube for people to see. It was something I greatly enjoyed doing for fun.

But that's the key word there: for FUN. I didn't expect to get popular; or rather, I shouldn't have expected it. But as I kept uploading videos, the desire to become popular overwhelmed me. I thought I could make it as a LPlayer, but I didn't.

The first reason why I didn't make it is because I wasn't consistent. Don't get me wrong, I know I STARTED OFF consistent, but after a bit I began to falter. Videos were coming in later and later, and I very often stopped playing one game to start playing another.

In my attempt to find a niche that could get me noticed, I forgot the one thing EVERY Let's Player should remember: this is a HOBBY. You do it for FUN, not for anything else. It's about sharing the joy of playing these games with an audience; nothing more, nothing less.

And when I get back to it (and I will), I'll be sure to remember that. I'll be sure to do it for fun, above all things. Just as I write this blog for fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment