Saturday, May 27, 2017

My Top 5 Favorite (And Disappointing) Builds in Skyrim

It's not easy to be a gamer in China; most MMO's need proof of citizenship, and I am sorely lacking in that department. For that reason, I've mostly stuck with playing Skyrim on my laptop. I've invested quite a few hours into the game, and I've compiled a list of the 5 Character Builds that have left me wanting to play for hours on end. Likewise, I've also compiled a list of 3 Builds that have made me quit the character due to sheer boredom. Let's begin with the favorites.


5- FudgeMuppet's The Blademaster

Race: Redguard
Main Skills: One Handed, Two Handed, Smithing

Whenever I'm in need of an idea for a build I look no further than FudgeMuppet, a famed Youtube channel known for their Elders Scrolls and Fallout videos. Anyway, this is one of their more unique builds, as it's one that takes away ANY form of defense in favor of damage, damage, and more damage. This build is all about using swords to cut down your enemies in a flurry of slash attacks, relying on not just Critical hits and the speed of your attacks, but on also using Shouts to wear your opponents down. A truly fantastic Build that had me addicted to playing Skyrim,

4- ESO's Necromancer

Race: Orsimer (Orc)
Main Skills: Conjuration

ESO is a Youtube channel that focuses on making guides for Elders Scrolls and Fallout...yeah. I personally prefer FudgeMuppet's builds, but ESO has the better content when it comes to gameplay guides. Anyway, this is a build that allows you to raise your very own Undead army. Your. Very. Own. Army. Of. Undead. Honestly, it's one of the most ingenious builds I have ever seen; it makes use of the Resurrection Stone, an otherwise severely niche Stone power that few players would ever bother with. It's an amazing build, but what's even more amazing is that it uses an Orc character, a race I otherwise would have limited to using melee weapons and armor, not magic! A truly inspiring build, and one I am just DYING to make!

3- Nord Berserker (my own creation)

Race: Nord
Main Skills: Two Handed, Light Armor, Smithing

I'll admit, I am not very imaginative. I tend to be rather orthodox when it comes to making a character of my own; that's why I'm so reliant to Skyrim Calculator and the aforementioned Youtube channels. But this is ONE build I am truly proud of. A male Nord, max muscle. I use exclusively Fur Armor for protection, a two handed axe for offense, and Shouts for support. Not the BEST build, but it's one whose aesthetic is really, really pleasing. For those wondering why Nord instead of Orc, it's 100% for roleplaying purposes: my character joins the Stormcloaks because...he's a Nord. And he loves Skyrim.

2- The Werewolf (standard build)

Race: any
Main Skills: Lycanthropy, One Handed

There's simply nothing that can compare to that feeling you get when you're a werewolf, rushing through a dungeon, mauling enemies left and right. You laugh at their feeble attempts to stop you, but not only can you kill them in half a second, but chowing down on their remains HEALS you. So Satisfying!

Before we get to my absolute favorite Skyrim build, here's a short list of Builds that disappointed me. In no particular order:

Khajiit Brawler. I loved using Fist weapons in Fallout 4; there's just nothing that can compare to taking down a Behemoth using nothing but what God gave you at birth. In Skyrim, however, only the Khajiit race can be effective Brawlers, due to their Race Passive that allows them to deal extra damage while unarmed (pretty much THE worst racial passive in the game). Add to the fact that the Khajiit's racial power is next to useless for a Brawler, and you've got a pretty damn disappointing (to me) character to play as.

Thief. I just...can't. I can't make a good Thief character to save my life. The playstyle for the Thief is great, but I just need so many different Perks to make a REAL thief (Pickpocket, Sneak, Speech, One Handed, Lockpick) that I just go "AHHHH!!!" And if I only focus on Sneak and One Handed, then it wouldn't be a Thief, it's be an Assassin. I much prefer builds that require few Perk trees, thank you very much.

FudgeMuppet's The Craftsman. A great idea on paper (an Orc that makes his own weapons, enchants them, and gives them their own names) marred by the simple fact that carrying one of each kind of Two Handed weapon weighs your character down. A lot. Plus having three weapons with the exact same playstyles...isn't very fun.

And now, my all time favorite Build...

1- FudgeMuppet's The Centurion

Race: Nord
Main Skills: Block, One Handed, Heavy Armor

To me, Less is (often) More. This is one of those builds that takes one idea (a guy with armor and a shield) and runs with it. This is a Build that really, really gives me what I want in a Skyrim character: big, beefy dude that cannot be taken down without a fight. It uses only 3 Perk trees, with two points in Smithing just to actually make the gear you'll need.

I have no more words, really. It's a fantastic build, and one I adore using.

Oh! And for the curious, here are my Top 5 favorite Races in Skyrim:

5-Imperial
4-Redguard
3-Argonian
2-Orsimer
1-Nord


No comments:

Post a Comment