Saturday, November 8, 2014

Suikoden 2.5

I'm a huge fan of Suikoden. I'm a proud member of the Suikoden Revival Movement, have signed up for both Suikoden Day 2013 and 2014 (didn't participate because of time constraints, however), and have played Suikoden 1, 2, 3, 4, and Tactics. I've yet to play 5 because I have no money, but it's on my bucket list. Anyway, there is a certain, fan made Suikoden game that I've been keeping my eye on for a while now, and I think every Suikoden fan owes it to themselves to do the same. The game is called Suikoden 2.5.



For the non fans out there, let me explain a few things. First off, Suikoden has a fairly substantial fan base. Sure it doesn't have the fame that certain franchises out there have, but a lot of people love the franchise. Now, Konami currently isn't making any new Suikoden games, and the few that ARE getting made are not seeing a release outside of Japan. This is, of course, disheartening to the series' non-Japanese fans, who would give anything to play these new games. An example of Suikoden games that are not seeing an international release anytime soon would be the Suikogaiden series, a collection of visual novels that take place during the events of Suikoden 2, arguably the most well received title in the franchise. That's the second thing I need to explain: of all the games in the series, Suikoden 2 is, arguably, the most popular in the franchise. So popular is it that one of the goals of the Suikoden Revival Movement is to get this game a digital release!

However, there is still a hunger in the fandom for a new Suikoden game, and it must be admitted that quite a number of fans see the SRM as a futile movement, a lot of hot air that sounds like a good idea, but will ultimately just leave the world in a whimper, like a wilting flower in the corner of an abandoned garden. Some fans want to do something with more measurable results, and Suikoden 2.5 is the brainchild of THAT group of fans.

Suikoden 2.5 promises to be a direct continuation of the events of Suikoden 2. Since it's a fan game, it'll be distributed for free. Now, this is, of course, not reason enough to be excited about the game. After all, it's just a freebie fan game! And we all know that those tend to suck!...right?

Well...actually, the developers have released some pictures of the game, some still shots, and they look- well, you be the judge:




Those who are fans of Suikoden will notice that these graphics are, in fact, pulled from the game Suikoden 2. Is this a violation of Copyright law? I'd think so, unless the devs contacted Konami and got the OK. On the other hand, this IS a non profit game, so maybe Konami can let it slide? I don't know, this seems like a real gray area to me, and it's something I'd rather discuss in a future blog when we talk about another certain fan made game inspired by Suikoden.

I had earlier made the implication that fan games are, for the most part, crap. I'd like to state that, while I recognize the quality of a project can vary, I think fan games deserve to be measured somewhat differently from mainstream or independent games. Why? Because they were made by fans, so by extension, they were made with love.

And yet we need to recognize that being made with love shouldn't excuse a terrible game. Video games are a rare breed, in that while they can be art, they are always, invariable, also a product to be consumed. And because they are a product, they need to be measured as such. Doesn't matter if a game is made with love; if it's glitchy, if the graphics burn your eyes, the music grates your ears, and you somehow can't walk without breaking the joystick, the game is crap, and nothing can excuse it. We gotta be honest: not everyone can be a game coder.

But a game coder can be anyone. Suikoden 2.5 was, for most of its development, made by one person. ONE person made this game, ladies and gents. ONE. And look at what that one person did!

Let me tell you something about game development: it takes a hell of a long time. People tend to severely underestimate the amazing time and effort it takes to make a video game, even if it lasts a mere 10 minutes. I'm speaking from personal experience here: I've started making a new game on RPG Maker 2003 yesterday. I've spent a total of five hours on it so far. Want to know how far I've gotten? I have ONE map unfinished, 26 characters, 24 weapons, and 6 different skills. I'm using the RTP, so I didn't have to draw sprites, tiles, spell effects, or character portraits, I didn't have to record any music or sound effects, and I didn't have to spend weeks coding anything. Making a game is intimidating; it's easy to lose your passion for it within a week.

And here we have someone who kept at it, kept at their game for months, maybe years on end, perfecting every detail, to create a game, for what? Not for money, because they won't see a dime come from this project! For fame? For recognition? 

NO! It was done for love, love for a video game franchise with thousands of fans the world over, neglected by its parent company, that inspired hundreds of people from (almost) every nation on Earth!

This is a project made with unfathomable ambition! This is what the gaming community can do when they set their eyes on a goal, and work towards achieving it! Why am I looking forward to Suikoden 2.5? Because it was made by a fan, for fans of one of the most underrated franchises in the world! This franchise is far from dead; its fans are willing AND able to spend months, YEARS of their lives creating a new game that continues the narrative set by the previous Suikodens! Why? Because we love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment